New Mac!

7:58 PM
Is getting too tiring to apologise to non-existing readers lol.

Anyway, tons of stuff happened including... my new mac!


First got myself a Macbook in 2007 (the white version) and it was passed to sis when dad said he will subsidise part of a new Macbook Pro in 2009 for me. Woots!



2015.


6 years since I have gotten the 2009 MBP.

It has...

gotten old with some dents and scratches
faulty speaker
bloated battery = umbilical linked to power outlet always
no optical drive because I had to put in a 1tb hard disk

bloated macbook pro battery
WOULD U LOOK AT THAT BATTERY! 

upgraded ram to 8gb (woohoo!)
and a tiny 60 GB SSD courtesy of cuzzie.


I could have replaced the battery and it would still work exactly fine, but at 2kg + it is hard to bring around and technology have advanced in these six years and so, I bravely bought a new one tada! Decided to get one now because there's Apple Education Discount, so it was $100+ cheaper than usual. I got it directly from Apple online store because I really do not need the lame freebies that the retail shops are offering. Also, Pages, Numbers and Keynote (Apple's version of office) are free from the App store and Microsoft is giving free office to students as well, so there is really no need to shop at local retailers.

danbo waiting

This is Danbo and Marshmallow waiting impatiently for the DHL man. 

Le parcel came nicely packed and I was jumping up and down for a good 5 minutes before I went back to do my work, because I simply have to finish them first @#$@%$% *extreme discipline needed here*

Oh! Apple online store has 1% cashback on Shopback.
Don't laugh at this 1% ok, it felt like a $15 off my laptop. 
There are other stores on Shopback too
click here to join :) 

Me buying a new mac is like other ladies buying their branded bags and whatnots, euphoria level: 100. This is what happens when you have not changed your laptop for six years. 

apple macbook pro size comparison 13-inch

Naturally the old MBP wasn't feeling very happy. 



apple macbook pro size comparison 13-inch

Side to side comparison of the new (left) and old (right) MBP.  Slightly slimmer, but much lighter. 

apple macbook pro size comparison 13-inch
Though both of them are 13", Apple did a brilliant job at shaving the size, so much so that I had to get myself a new laptop sleeve lol. Look at how dirty the old MBP was, and that was AFTER cleaning oops. 

apple macbook pro size comparison 13-inch

Tada~ at this point I could not switch on the old MBP because cuzzie took out the battery already. 
Also battery and other e-electronic wastes should be disposed off separately and not into your regular bins. You may discard your e-wastes in the various locations listed here

For Apple products, Li Tong provides FREE disposal service, click here for information. I could not use Li Tong because they do not accept batteries -,-  


Why Apple?

As always with Apple stuff, I am impressed by how much effort they put in manufacturing the laptop.  Even my dad said they didn't need to go so far. Looking at some of the windows laptop that are made of plastic is like pft, *talk to my hand please*

Of course the most important thing to me is the Mac OS which in my opinion surpasses Microsoft by a thousand miles. I mean really, it is year 2015 and there are still SO MANY updates on Windows. Let's not even being talking about how shitty Windows 8 is. So the Mac OS was really the key reason driving me to continue purchasing a Mac.


I am well aware that the specs aren't as great as some of the windows-based laptops. But considering that I am not a hardcore game and my life really revolves around surfing net and doing some stuff on Excel etc, there really isn't a need for me to get a blazing fast computer. What's more important is that I have blazing fast internet speed instead.

The battery life on the MBP is awesome too. I have not checked if it is indeed 10 hours, but it is obviously way better than the 10 minute I have on the old one hehe. Also I tried to keep the battery life between 20-80% instead of having full charges all the time - it apparently helps with battery life. 

Downsides

Of course there are downsides. As mentioned the specs aren't as great. One thing that bothered me most was I only have a 128gb SSD (yes I chose the cheapest version) which is practically ancient by today's standard. I need more space!! So the downside is I have to plug in a 1TB hard disk to store my photos, songs and backups of the iPhone stuff. It also didn't help I am too cheapskate to pay for additional spaces on Dropbox etc. It is ok though! I am in the midst of creating my own cloud (waiting for prices to drop to be precise). So manufacturers like Western Digital have developed a hard disk which you can access much like how you access google drive and dropbox when you away. That way you need not have to bring a hard disk along with your laptop. 


SUCH BRILLIANCE. 


It cost about 134USD for a 2TB version. This is why I have gotten myself the cheapest MBP version. Upgrading to 256GB is also about that price which seems ridiculous. So for those people who have tons of selfies stored in your disk, this might be a good option. 



WD My Cloud WDBCTL0020HWT 2TB Personal Cloud Storage


WD My Cloud WDBCTL0020HWT 2TB Personal Cloud Storage


15 comments:

  1. I've actually been thinking about purchasing a Mac. I currently do everything on a desk top and I would like to be able to work on my blog from other places. Thanks for all the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really want buy mac book air. but the budget and reality are not in one path again. something good must pay with expensive price. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a MacBook Pro which I got 3-4 years ago. It still works fine, but the battery isn't so great anymore. I actually had it replaced recently and already the new one is starting to act up. I think it's my laptop now that just has a hard time with batteries in general.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planning to upgrade my laptop to the 5th Gen Macbook Air only 'coz of how lite and portable the laptop is. But limited space is something I'm worried about too.

    GIG Love
    Chaicy - Style..A Pastiche!
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to upgrade mine too.... but need save some first. Congratss to you !! Im sure blogging would be way easier now ! Thanks for the review too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on your new mac! and that bloated old battery really looks scary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad u are happy with your new Mac =) I never own any Apple products before, so I envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my Macbook, I'd love to upgrade but can't really afford it right now. I hate going on to a PC now haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always exciting getting a new laptop especially a mac :) It'll be a while before I update my laptop haha but hopefully I wont get a battery like yours :O x
    | Life as a Petite || Fashion, Crafts & Lifestyle Blog |

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are 100% Apple free household, but I am glad it works for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got myself a Mac Book Pro last year December. Not really totally shift from Windows to Apple, but it does better job compared to Window. However, because both are totally different things, I have to learn how to use Apple and it takes me a lot of time to learn how to operate it in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I exactly know the pain of having less space in drive! Agh! I badly need to upgrade mine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have heard some good stuff about the MAC laptops though I haven't used any of them as I think they are a little too expensive.

    www.whatfatemahsays.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love apply MacBooks! they last a lot longer than windows by far

    ReplyDelete
  15. Same pinch! I have the exact same model. Hope you enjoy using it :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.