Savour 2014

2:50 AM
A week ago I had the pleasure of dining at Gyu Kaku thanks to a very generous colleague of mine. 
This was the first time I had charcoal grilled meat and they tasted phenomenal. Not sure if it was due to the charcoal or the high quality meat. Either way, I have never been so impressed by food before (maybe because I eat cheapo ones) and it sent me thinking about another food event....

which I went with the BF after some thoughts. 
Now, I am never one who pays a lot for food mainly because they all come out the same way but after Gyu Kaku... 
Anyway, I still wouldn't pay excessively a lot for food because it is not a lifestyle I can enjoy, so Savour 2014 was a good event because it allows me to eat awesome food cooked by famous chefs (whom I sadly don't know) at a really affordable price. 

This was our first time to Savour. For more info visit: http://savour.com.sg

Tickets for dinner cost SGD75 with 30 Savour dollars to spend. This essentially means $45 is the entrance fee - still too expensive for me. 
In the end I purchased the tickets off someone for $40 each. See what I mean about not paying a lot for food?
Call me a cheapo, but whatever. 

I kept this as a surprise for the BF, since this was suppose to be my treat for him. There are about 20 chefs each bringing an average for 3 dishes = 60 dishes for us to try and we only have a limited stomach area, so it was really hard to choose. 
There were some hits and misses but overall we had an enjoyable time there. 

I will try my best to describe the food I had - am really not good with all the adjective describing food. 

We had Daniel Sia's 
Braised Pork Cheeks, Miso Daikon, Mousseline Potatoes 
based on recommendations. 


The meat was tender and the sauce mixed with the potato was good, but it didn't taste particularly special to us though. The BF said it was a 'normal' dish. 


Then he picked 

Christophe Paucod's Tatin de Boudin Noir aux pommes (House made blood pork sausage with apples, Tatin’s tart style)
The moment this dish hit my mouth, I stopped thinking about the one (Daniel Sia's) I had before. Notice that both dishes use mashed potato as a base and that the main ingredient is pork-based. Paucod's blood pork sausage blended really well with the potato and the sauce - the combination was just amazing. I expected the dish to be grainy because well it is blood (and I am a newbie at eating 'new' food), but it had a smooth texture.


The Michelin 1 star was rightfully deserved.
Would love to try this again and again and again and again. 


Next was 
Riccardo Catarsi's Linguine, Crab & Nduja

This was a little disappointing again because I wasn't able to mix everything properly in this small cup. 
If you wish to try this, maybe it would be better if you purchase the bigger version.
The linguine was little too oily for my liking and after we finished the dish, there was a thick layer of oil left at the bottom - not a very pleasant thought.

Sons have a rather affordable menu, so if you missed out on Savour, you can always try them at China Square Central!   


I was eyeing 
Mark Sargeant's Oxwell Cured Scottish Salmon, Artisan Sourdough Bread & Capers
not because I know who he is, but because I always liked salmon. Each ingredient by itself doesn't taste very nice. Capers (the green things) were too sour towards the end, the Sourdough bread was too hard and the salmon was oily. However, combing the three was a perfect mix. 


Then the BF picked 
Claudio Sandri's Spathe Cajun & Garlic Fries

I was initially not very happy about fries because my thought was 'we can eat fries any old day' 
but I was wrong because this is not any ordinary fries. I am not sure how to describe it, but it tasted more addictive than usual and it really had the garlic taste. 
Someone hand me 1 big bowl of this please! 




then we head over to Nepresso for some free coffee
Nothing much to shout about. It is just Nepresso coffee.
Of course it is better than Nescafe's Dolce Gusto range, but I mean, with all the famous chefs around, Nepressso is still, just Nepresso. 

Anyway it is free, so I'm not complaining lol. 

For desert we had 
Ezio Gritti's White Chocolate Mousse with Watermelon and Ginger Sauce. This was a tough choice because we only had space for ONE desert and we were also thinking about
Christopher Millar's Chocolate Violette Earth with Strawberry Blossom Sorbet. 

We finally decided on Gritti because of Michelin again. I know it sounds superficial. It is superficial I don't deny lol. More than that though, it was also because we wouldn't be able to fly to Italy anytime we want to eat Gritti's food. I love too, but I cannot. Not without hurting my piggy bank lol. 

And as it turns out it was yet another fantastic choice. 
Despite the decision, I was initially apprehensive. After we ordered the dish, I had a closer look and I went 'oh shit', because there was white chocolate and I absolutely hate white chocolate. They are just too sickly sweet. Then I saw ginger sauce - which was the second 'oh shit' because I hate ginger. In the end I didn't have to worry because as sinful as this dish looks, it was not overly sweet, the ginger wasn't spicy. It was overall, quite a light desert.


After Savour, we went for a walk because iLights exhibits were up :D 
Didn't take many pictures that day because we were a little late, so we didn't have time to look at all the exhibits. Here are some shots. 




Had such a fun and relaxing time out :)






No comments:

Powered by Blogger.