The World Of Instant

2:13 PM
This entry is about the types of instant food we can find in supermarkets. Mind you, not in the normal NTUC - I cannot seem to find any of such exotic selections in the normal NTUC meant for the poor middle class (i.e. me).  I think the organization thinks we are not high class enough. 

Anyway! This is not an entry advocating instant food. In fact I am against it for health reasons (oh the contradiction!), but we all need a quick and fuss-free way of preparing our snacks as we watch our kdramas right?

Er.. right?





whatever. 



So I came across three: 

nestle germany potatoes croutons roast garlic mashed
Initially, when  I saw it, I could not believe Nestle hid this from the Singapore population and selfishly gave this to Germany.
Found this at Cold Storage in Holland V and it costs about $2.

So this is potato powder + roasted garlic + croutons. Add some water and you get mashed potato.

Verdict: the packaging looked nicer than how the actual thing tasted. It was too salty for my likely even though I added water to the "line" that was there. Any further, I would have potato soup instead. Speaking of potato soup,

pokka potato soup japan singapore daiso

This would actually be a good alternative to the mashed potato. It can be found in Daiso for $2 also! 

Next up, instant aglio olio. 
This is definitely for the lazy considering how quick it usually is to whipped up a plate of pasta. 
This can be found in Isetan supermarkets (I went to the one in Westgate - Westies, thank the Japanese living in your vicinity ok).  

I love how the Japs made it even more fuss-free. You know how retarded Singapore cup noodles are. One example is the mee goreng from Super. There is no good way to prevent the noodles from spilling out from the cup but okay it is cheap, no complains. This is about $4 o.0 and it has the tiny holes for you to pour the water away. For some reason the pasta will not drop out from the bowl which was amazing. Taste wise, it does taste like aglio olio pasta, but the noodle wasn't the 'real' spaghetti so there was a disappointment there. It was a little too springy for my liking. 


This can also be found in Isetan supermarket (again ~$4). Now this is even more genius than the previous. The manufacturers created the slits in the opposite direction from where u pour the water in so there is no frigging way your pasta can drop out. This is carbonara by the way, in case you cannot tell. The pasta was better than the previous one but they were a little too stingy with the carbonara sauce. 


But really, if an instant food cost like $4, you are better off with a bowl of bak chor mee from the coffeeshop downstairs. Equally unhealthy (the lard?!) but you will at least fulfil more parts of your energy requirements for the day (think the 2 slices of veggies, some proteins and certainly the fats). Even McD is better now with its 500 calories meal ;) 

20 comments:

  1. i also like to cooking instant mashed potato.
    life save at work when im so hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not a fan of instant meals either, but so true about needing my kdrama snacks haha. what's your current kdrama fave?

    stop by and chat :) http://storybookapothecary.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at the moment it is Kill Me, Heal Me :D what's yours?

      Delete
  3. Haha...I am not a big foodie but i must say the instant aglio olio looks yummers.

    http://llhuxlounge.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have maggi and knorr instant noodles which i love but still it is not good idea to live on these things.
    Glamupgirls

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love instant noodles. But I'm not a fan of instant mash. I like it to be REAL mash haha

    GIG LOVE | The Life of Leeshastarr

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh interesting, mashed potatos with crutons? Instant food can be such an easy/convenient option, and I've got to say I've been guilty many times, but trying to change at the moment haha x
    | Life as a Petite || Fashion, Crafts & Lifestyle Blog |

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow had no idea there were so many instant good options, it's interesting how it varies from country to country. Personally I still love eating ramen noodles :)xoxo Francy @ fancy-francy.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to avoid instand food as much as possible these days..... but the carbonara looks delicious. Might try that though GigLove

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to eat instant food so much but then my doctor told me to cut back... too much salt for me!

    www.simplyfashiontv.com | gig love

    ReplyDelete
  10. First time seeing a instant noodle packaging this awesome and cool! I'm sure it's not here in M'sia. =/

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do have the Brand - Maggi in India and I shop most of their Instants here. But I do like how the last one turned out - the instant noodles cooked perfectly and the end product seemed yumm!!

    GIG Love
    xoxo Chaicy - Style..A Pastiche!
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  12. never seen an instant mash potato before. i can definitely imagine it being salty

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate instant food and we hardly ever buy it; it is full of junk and doesn't really taste good

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love fastfood but Idon't think we have this in Malaysia! I want t Try the maggie one please.
    Beauty Secret's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. The foods look cute xD never seen any of them before. Wondering how they taste :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like instant mashed potato and poridge but pot noodles never been my favourite.

    GIG love,
    http://greenstoryblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will still wanna try the instant mashed potato even though you didn't think too highly of the taste. I love everything potato!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.