닥터 이방인 [spoilers ahead]

Thought of penning down one or two entries before school officially starts.

Yes.



I am a student once again.


okay, but more of that later, since I have a 1.5 years to talk about campus life.


Anyway I have been slacking around for this month. Think of it like recharging batteries - they just lie in the charger doing nothing. I was still doing some freelance work, going out and stuff. Not too bad!
I also went through quite a number of the Kdramas - too lazy to review all now :X

Doctor Stranger (닥터 이방인) was the latest one I have completed.



The synopsis from Wiki is
As a child, Park Hoon (Lee Jong-suk) and his father were kidnapped by North Korea. In North Korea, Park Hoon was trained to become a doctor by his father who was already a famous doctor. Park Hoon became a genius thoracic surgeon. He deeply fell in love with Jae Hee (Jin Se-yeon) in his high school. Park Hoon's father then died and he tried to flee to South Korea with Jae Hee, but lost in contact with her and at the end, he fled to South Korea alone, while looking for Jae Hee.

In South Korea, Park Hoon begins to work as doctor in a top hospital Myungwoo University Hospital. Meanwhile, he found a girl that looks exactly like Jae Hee, Doctor Han Seung Hee, who claimed to not know Park Hoon. Then it appears that she's involved in a secret mission with a man who hates Park Hoon back in North Korea.
This follows King 2 Hearts (starring Lee Seung-gi and Ha Ji-won) that discussed about North and South Korea relationship. Pretty sure there are more shows, but this was the only idol one I can think of. By the way I didn't finish watching K2H, it was too boring for me.

Two reasons why I watched Doctor Stranger were

1) The show was directed by Jin Hyeok - who directed Master's Sun and City Hunter
Since Master's Sun was one of my favourite show, I had high expectations for Doctor Stranger

2) Lee Jong-suk 이종석 is the lead!!

This is actually the more important reason lol.
I have watched his acting in School 2013 and I Hear Your Voice, particularly in IHYV, I have mentioned that his acting has improved.

Lee Jong-suk in Doctor Stranger is simply god-like.
He was placed side-by-side with Park Hae-jin - someone who debuted way way earlier than him, who even went and acted in China but LJS won in terms of his acting skills. Of course his character as a person who was being tortured badly in North Korea has more room for emotions but LJS is only 24 years old ?! how can such a youngster have such deep emotional understanding ?! Not saying that Park Hae-jin was bad, but LJS was simply too good.




Even though there is a medical theme attached to the show, this show is hardly a medical drama. There are some operations, some hearts exposed, blood etc but this is not the type of medical drama where you get to learn a lot of new terms. This show is mainly about the characters' choices to revenge or save their own lives. 

Of course when you have such an excellent actor, the pressure lies on the actresses to be as good as him. The two actresses were good, but not good enough for LJS. Lee Bo-young in I hear your voice was much better (then again, she's like a decade older than these two girls too). 

I also want to give a special mention to this guy, Park Hae-joon that evil North Korean who wants LJS dead. 
MY GOD HE NEVER DIES. He's just there like an irritating cockroach. I suppose his acting is good, since he made me felt like wanting to squish him all the time lol.

Of course behind any sinister plot, there are some funny moments otherwise the audience will die of anxiety for LJS. Some more .gif images I stole from tumblr accounts: 
How is it that LJS can change from someone so serious, sad and forlorn to someone so funny in one show?! Epic acting I must say (again and again and again). 


Ok! Hope these are enough to make you enjoy the show like I did!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.