Pre-Sydney

I am going to be a little curt in my post now because THE DRAFT WASN'T AUTOMATICALLY SAVED JUST NOW. WTF Google?

Anyway AS I WAS SAYING before the draft got lost in the wind, I thought I should blog about something now that I am sick of being sick before I get lazy in the future and all these memories are just left to die.

Pre-Sydney
Sydney was destination 2012 because it has been 12 years since I was there. The previous trip left a bitter taste in my mouth because the place is too boring for a kid. What's more I had Chinese food everyday while I was there (blame it on the tour group). So I was determined to right the wrong.

Of course, the decision was partly due to the launch of Scoot. I would love very much to go to Gold Coast but that will mean that my dad will drive us around and I don't think he wants to do that in a foreign land.

I bought the tickets when Scoot first launched the flights to SYD and Gold Coast. People were complaining that they were unable to get into the website to purchase the tickets, but it was all smooth-sailing to me. Looks like the trip was meant to be :P


All in all it cost our family SGD1233.68 or SGD308 per pax for the round trip. We have added the inedible meal for SIN-SYD a terrible, horrible, disgusting mistake. Please don't buy it. 
This was my meal and it was hard and salty. 

Like other budget airlines, you can buy misc food stuff like cup noodles (SGD5) and drinks (SGD4) if you like. 
On Scoot website, it is stated explicitly that no outside food is allowed, but I smarten up and still brought in McD for the return trip. Cold soggy fries still beat that meal anytime! 

Curious about the legroom? (this is bunnie, my companion #2 + pillow for the flight)



Tadah! The extra space I have, right in front of me. 
All it needs is a leg rest and it can compete with other economic flights. 
I was thoroughly impressed with the legspace seriously. 
If not for the lack of entertainment, Scoot can easily pass for a main line airplane.  



As frequent travellers will know, midnight flights are horrid because one can't seem to find a decent posture to sleep. It was a tiring flight to Sydney honestly. I rather take Perth anytime. 


I booked our hotel 'Sydney Marriott Hotel' in June with 
and it cost us SGD1164.65 for 4 nights. That's about SGD291 per person for 4 nights. 
It wasn't a very enjoyable experience because halfway through, Pullman decided to buy the hotel. So besides the name change, the hotel was undergoing some remodelling works. 

NO ONE, no one mentioned it to me, until I googled about it in August. 
The whole email correspondence was a nightmare because of our health concerns, and also our rights as customers have been breached. 

I mean who the heck wants to stay in a hotel that is still remodelling in progress whether or not are remodelling works done during the stay? What's more we weren't being inform beforehand o.0 ?

Taken from expedia
Mind you, I was all for complaining to CASE until I reached my room. 

Ultra comfy beds


Huge toilet


Right across Hyde Park

And that's companion #1, Marshmallow


All these for SGD1k + like how is that possible ?!
Yes it is no longer possible if you book via http://www.pullmansydneyhydepark.com.au/

I believe UOBtravel also took down the listing (maybe because of me) but you can always try their Olympic Park branch. 
Pullman is part of the Accorhotels family. Of course this is still not 5 star standards, but for that sort of price, we are really getting our money worth. 

Also, UOBtravel also made attempts to follow up with me, asking me about my stay. I am the type of person who thinks that customer service is important, so this follow up was good enough for me to drop the idea of  going to CASE. 

In any case, the hotel was a stone throw to the train station 'Museum' (one stop away from Central station), the free CBD shuttle bus service, shops at the World Square, so I would really recommend you to stay there. 

Day 1
Dad decided that we should take the cab even though there is a train that runs from Airport International to Museum. The reason being the train ride will cost us AUD16.40 per pax. In the end the cab ride cost more about AUD70 lol, but at least we didn't have to dragged our luggages (regardless the distance). Dad was feeling exceptionally heartbroken about the AUD70, but cheered up on the last day when he realised that the train ride was AUD16.40 hahaaha.

I wanted to go to the Australian Museum, because I liked visiting the Western Australia Museum, but there wasn't much time so we just went around World Square and bought my favourite pastry for breakfast. I  never got around to visit Australian Museum, which was a bit of a bummer since it was just a few minutes walk down from the hotel.

We settled dinner at Ding Tai Fung @World Square, yes the one you see in SG because my dad is a vegetarian, so there ought to be some food for him there. Portions were large and not particularly fantastic. My parents kept complaining about how salty food was in Sydney.





While Perth and Sydney are similar in some ways, Sydney appears to be more reminiscent of Singapore , at least shops closes at 6-7pm (Perth is like 5-6pm) and there are a few attractions open till late.
We went to the Sydney Tower Eye, Aquarium and Madame Tussauds and made some savings because you can buy a combo ticket at any of their websites. We spent AUD58.50 per pax on all three attractions. Take note that that's the online price, it will be slightly more expensive if you go down to the place to buy.

We went the Tower first, because we had some time to kill on our 1st day (it opens till 10pm). It was a little hard to find the entrance because the directions weren't so clear, but we found it in the end!










Wanted to bring one home but it cost AUD13 blehhhh

And that's it for the first day!
Most hotels in Sydney don't provide free wi-fi/wired internet and they cost a bomb too. 
Lemme suggest Optus $2 a day
  1. Unlimited calls to AU landlines/mobiles
  2. Unlimited messages
  3. most importantly... UNLIMITED DATA. 


Er note that they don't allow iPhone users to tether kapui, so I used my dad's Samsung to tether internet instead. 
Also, the 3G will feel like LTE to you, mega plus points to Australia! 
Honestly, I find it quite ironic how Australia can provide such services but SG cannot. The cost of laying such communication lines in OZ is much more than SG please. Life sucks when you have a oligopoly. 

Footnote: The itinerary that we have is for a family who doesn't like to travel a lot to far places as it involves whiny kids. So if you are the type who wants to see Australia as a local, or the adventurous kind who wants to dive, surf or skydive, this itinerary is not for you! 


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.