Respect has to be earned

This is a rather random topic because it occur to me that there has been many double standards about treating certain groups of people with more respect than the others, I thought I should right my standards.

Loads of stuff have been happening in Singapore political arena, the most exciting being Hougang By-election.
I didn't want to comment much about the event because I thought analysts have been overanalysing things and the loser, (calling PAP loser feels very shiok sometimes) was oversimplifying the whole issue.

And then came the JC student who scolded vulgarities at Teo Chee Hean (no, he don't deserve my respect as a deputy prime minister for all his nonsense during the by-election). I just checked it, his tumblr has been deleted, for unknown reasons. 

So was Prof Christoper Balding's website, the guy who wrote about Singapore Inc and the inaccuracy about our budget and surpluses as reported by IMF and our government.

Not sure why is there such a coincidence but assuming that censorship is at play, well I thought it was rather stupid to make people close down their account. For instance, the JC student has some pretty good posts about other issues like the EU debt crisis. Just like that we lost another valuable source of information. And as I have highlighted in the above 2 paragraphs, the closure of one website does not mean 100% censorship like you can do with the mainstream media, because someone, and there will always be that someone who will make sure that the public can still get to read it.

I would also like to point out that the JC student's tumblr account was posted on Teo Chee Hean facebook page twice and twice I saw that the comment somehow just disappeared, possibly by someone who clicked X.

I learnt from these incidents that respect has to be earned.
It doesn't mean that people listen to you because you enforce your own reasonings on them
Like how the PAP tried to say that the by-election was a local and not a national one.
That topped the list of my 'top 10 bullshit for 2012'.

It also doesn't mean that ignoring the situation makes it go away.
The deletion of the comments (I don't have screenshots, damn it!) if it can be proven, simply showed that the person in question is trying to bury his head in the sand, while the rest of the public are discussing about it. That is not what I want of my political leaders.



I guess these few incidents can be translated in work places too.
Like for example, just because you worked in a company for 10 years, it doesn't mean that you deserve the respect automatically. Being respected and appreciated is two different things. So if say a company decides to retrench you after 20 years of service, it is not disrespect but un-appreciation of your past efforts.

It also doesn't mean that because people happened to do things the way you expected them to do it (and you think it is because of you), it means that you have been respected or that you are correct. A person can be as shallow as a puddle of water, or as deep as the ocean. At any one point in time, there can be many things that influences one's action. It would be extremely foolish and presumptuous to think that a person's action solely rests on one other reason or one other person. In this case, the latter person can be regarded as a puddle of water, shallow and not worthy of any respect.

Lastly as shown in the JC student's attitude towards the (sigh, do I have to say it) deputy prime minister, it doesn't mean that you are automatically respected because of your title or pseudo title (like how some vice-president may think that they are pseudo-president). It also shows that a person more junior than you can sometimes proved to be a better person (maybe not the student's language, but his sense of logic).

Which is why I don't understand how can some people feel happy about having any kind of pseudo power. But no matter, because such a person don't deserve my time nor respect anyway.

Bottomline,

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN ON THE EARTH LONGER THAN I DO DOESN'T MEAN THAT I MUST LISTEN TO YOU. 


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.